Sunday, January 28, 2024

Chapter 04: Silent Knight


Alexa was pinned down behind the car, taking shots from an unseen attacker to her right. Meanwhile, Curt was returning fire in the same direction. He was shielding himself on the porch, providing Alexa with much needed cover. “You’re gonna have to get away from there, Alexa,” he shouted over the gunfire. “I don’t know how much more that engine block can take before the thing blows.”

As the words escaped his mouth, the smell of gasoline met with Alexa’s nose. Looking beside her right shoulder, she saw the fuel tank had been punctured and a steady stream of gas was pouring into the gravel beside her. “Curt?” she shouted in a shaky voice.

“I got you, Trouble. Just run to me. I promise, I won’t let anything happen to you.”


Alexa closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Counting down from three, she jumped up from her spot, keeping her head low, and rushed the stairs two at a time until she was lying on the opposite side of Curt on the porch.

Bullets continued raining down on them. She heard the distinct sound of a car door opening and realized their attackers had just exited their vehicle. With a total of maybe thirty bullets between them in their Glocks and one additional magazine, there was no way they would be able to withstand much more of this onslaught. Their assailants, with their automatic firearms, came equipped for combat.

Just when Alexa was about to convey this sentiment, she heard more gunfire and the sound of a honking horn as another car barreled down the driveway. “Looks like they brought friends,” Curt said, dropping back down for cover.


Alexa took a chance and poked her head over the railing. With a look of determination, she began emptying her weapon at the first group of gunmen. “No, Curt, they’re with us,” she said, assisting Remi and his guys who had finally made it to the drop.

Curt sat up and returned fire. Remi and his men came equipped with an arsenal and took out the others with relative ease. “It’s clear!” came Remi’s voice. Curt stood and moved toward Alexa to check her for injuries.

“I’m fine. I wasn’t hit. Are you…?”

“I’m good,” he replied. Together they moved down the porch toward Remi who met them just at the base of the stairs.

“You two ok?” Remi watched as the last body was removed from his property and turned to Curt. 

“As far as I’m concerned, this was a public service,” he said, acknowledging the look Remi gave him. “This will not come back on you.”


“Thanks, Remi, you got here in the nick of time.”

“That’s what I do,” he grinned. But his face quickly fell when he noticed the myriad of bullet holes and broken windows of his home. “Damn, Alexa. It’s a tough job being friends with you.”

“Sorry about all of this. Please, send me the bill for the repairs. I’ll gladly pay for everything. Upgrades included.”

“I’m gonna hold you to that.”

“I know you will,” she replied, pulling him in for a hug. “I owe you big time.”

“Well, you can start by telling me just who the fuck these guys are and why I’m looking at thousands of dollars of damage to my home.”

“La Hermandad,” Curt chimed in, having seen one of the tattoos on the shooter’s arm. “They must have been following me.”


“Following you?” Alexa asked. “Shit! That means they could have seen you at my house!” Grabbing her cell, she swiftly called Gavin, her anxiety growing the longer it rang. “Remi…”

“Take it,” he said, tossing the keys at her before she could ask. Alexa felt her heart drop and charged for the truck, still waiting on her husband to answer.

“Hello?”

“GAVIN!” she yelled with some relief. Curt hopped into the passenger seat as she started the engine and backed down the drive. “Listen, Baby, Curt and I had a run in with some really bad guys. I need you to look in the closet. There’s a back panel behind the dry cleaning on the right side. Push to open it. You’ll find some guns, arm yourself and get to Willow’s room. I’m on the way there now.”

“Alexa, what the hell is going on?”

“I’ll explain when I get there I promise; just do what I said and stay safe ok? I love you.”

“I love you too. I’ll see you soon.”


It took less than twenty minutes for Alexa to make it across town, speeding and running every light and stop sign on the way. The alarm sounded as she bolted inside the door in search of her family. She saw Gavin first, standing on the second-floor landing, holding an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle. He smiled down at her and she took the stairs two at a time to get to him.

Alexa rushed his outstretched arms. “I’m so sorry,” she whispered against his neck. He held her, lightly tracing the curve of her spine as she clung to him.

“It’s fine, Alexa. I told you I’m with you in this. I’m just glad you’re ok. You are ok, right?” he asked, pulling her back so he could look at her face.

“We were ambushed. Someone’s been following Curt and I thought they may have seen him here and I worried that…”


“This might be their next stop,” Gavin said, completing her sentence. “Well, we’re good. And now that I know where to find the hidden arsenal in our home—”

“Yeah, sorry about that,” she smiled. “I was going to tell you eventually, but I didn’t know how you’d feel about it. I just wanted to be prepared in the off chance someone from my old life ever learned about me.”

“I get it. But, Babe, you know you can tell me anything right? I love you,” he said, pulling her against him again. “I’ll fight by your side. I’d die for you.”

“Oh, Gavin.” Circling her arms around his neck she pulled his head down and placed her lips on his. Gavin deepened the kiss, pushing his warm tongue inside her mouth. Pressing harder, he kissed her zealously and passionately, moving his lips in sync with hers. She sank her hands into his hair and moaned into his mouth. His lips were warm and soft and she melted into him.


Alexa let herself get lost in the kiss and Gavin pulled her in closer, wrapping his arms around her as he released a gentle moan. “Can somebody shut that thing off?” Willow asked, stepping out of her bedroom with her hands covering her ears. Alexa ignored the request and instead, knelt down to collect her daughter in a warm embrace.

Gavin stepped around them to punch in the code for the alarm just as his phone rang. Informing the monitoring company of the false alarm, he watched his wife and daughter a moment and gave the verbal passcode: “Wolf Whistle.”

“Are you ok, Baby?” Alexa asked, brushing Willow’s hair from her face.

“I’m fine,” she replied sleepily. “What’s going on?”

“Nothing, Honey. Mommy accidentally tripped the alarm,” Gavin offered. His attention moved toward the open front door as a familiar figure stepped inside.

“Good evening,” Curt greeted with a wave.

“Detective,” Gavin nodded.

“Papa Curt!” Willow jumped excitedly, “You’re back!”

“Never left, Sweetheart. I have a birthday party to attend, remember?” Willow smiled down at the Detective and nodded her head emphatically.


“Come on, Willow, let’s get you back to bed,” Gavin said, taking Willow by the hand.

Alexa waited until her daughter’s bedroom door closed before joining Curt in the den. “We need to get in front of this thing,” she said. “We can’t have another night like tonight; getting caught with our pants down like amateurs. It’s not how I do things. This could have gone very bad very fast and I refuse to let anything happen to my family, Curt.”

“I know, Trouble. It’s what I was trying to tell you. I didn’t want to involve you this far. I didn’t want…”

“You’re my family too, Curt, and I’m not abandoning you. I’m simply saying we need to make a new plan. And I think I know how.” Curt sat forward as Alexa continued. “When I was going through your partner’s case files, I kept coming across the same name: James Knight. I think Fuller was investigating the circumstances surrounding his death.”


“Commissioner Knight was killed in a hit-and-run. His assailant was arrested three days later and confessed.”

“Exactly. So why did Fuller have the case files for a solved homicide unless he thought there was more to it?”

“Like what? Knight didn’t like to ruffle feathers and was planning on retiring soon. He was a spineless, company yes man. Who would want to kill him and why?”

“I think the answer to that might be in Fuller’s notes. But there is just so much that it’s gonna take a while to get through it all.”


“How about putting yourself in the Commissioner’s shoes?” Gavin asked as he joined the duo in the living room.

“Wow, Willow’s asleep already?” Alexa asked.

“Yeah, I’m a rock star. I know what my women want,” he winked, causing a visible blush to appear on her face.

“Um…s-so what were you saying?” she asked, clearing her throat and nervously sweeping her hair behind her ear in an attempt to regain her composure.

“Oh. Why not track down the last thing the Commissioner was involved in. Kind of retrace his last known activities and see if anything he came across during his last moments alive may have led to his death.”

“Right. It’s not a bad idea,” Curt said, “It would, however, involve us getting our hands on his calendar or into his email.”

“Or,” Alexa interjected, “We could just attend the upcoming charity event at the Governor’s mansion on Thursday and ask around. See what his friends have to say.”


“Yeah, count me out,” Curt sighed. “I’m under strict orders to stay away from this case. I can’t go investigating in a public forum. That’s just asking for trouble.”

“No problem, you can watch Willow for us. And you, Gavin,” Alexa smiled, and ran her hands up her husband’s chest. “How would you feel about your first undercover assignment?”

“At my dad’s house? The house I’ve been avoiding like the plague for about 7 years now? The house that belongs to a man who has become the bane of my existence. The house that I told Mom I NEVER wanted to set foot in. That house?” Alexa shrugged and Gavin took a deep breath. “Fine. But if Dad takes this as an olive branch and tries to call and ‘have lunch’, you will never kiss these lips again.”

“Well now that sounds like a punishment for the both of us.”

“Dammit. You’re right. Ok, how’s this: I won’t let you…nope, nope. I like that too much. Fuck! Don’t worry I’ll think of something.”

“And until then, I’d better find you something to wear to this thing. I wouldn’t want you making me look bad.”

“Ha! Babe, come on. This ass has never seen a pair of jeans it didn’t like.”

“My point exactly.”


Thursday Evening

Alexa heard a wolf whistle and smiled subtly before giving a little spin. “My! Don’t you clean up nicely?” she said, turning to find her husband leaning in the doorway with his arms folded across his chest. The tailor-made tux he was wearing pulled tight across his shoulders and arms making his muscles bulge and appear larger. Alexa tucked her lip between her teeth as she regarded him and Gavin caught the appreciation in her look.

“You don’t look so bad yourself,” he smiled, admiring the way her dress clung to her every curve. Alexa closed the last few inches between her and Gavin. Standing up on tiptoes, she sweetly pushed her mouth against him. His lips tensed beneath hers but he swiftly reacted, placing his hand on the small of her back to pull her closer. “Think we have time before the party?”


“Mmm, I have nothing but time for you, Gavin. Besides, I think guests are expected to be fashionably late.” Giving in to the urge boiling up inside him, Gavin kissed Alexa again. Yanking him inside the bedroom, she threw him onto their bed and he laughed at her fiery behavior.  

“If I knew you’d have this reaction to seeing me in a suit, I’d have dressed up years ago!” Quickly, she climbed onto the bed and straddled him. She could feel his firm arousal beneath her, pressing against her sex and pulsating at the contact. Alexa sat up and began to grind against him, enjoying his quick intakes of breath and light moans as she rubbed their warm bodies together. “That’s it, Babe. Ride me.”

“You like being teased like this?” she asked.

“Fuck yeah I do.”


Alexa leaned into him and pushed her tongue into his parted mouth. Gavin welcomed it with a passionate suckle. His arms held her tighter as his hunger for their kiss intensified. It felt as though he would devour her right then. The head of his cock peeked through the top of his dress pants and Alexa realized he was not wearing any underwear. “Well now. Someone wants to come out and play,” she smiled mischievously.

“He misses your warm mouth,” Gavin moaned.

Alexa gave him her warm mouth, letting him taste her as she kissed him again before licking his ear and lightly blowing on the spot. “How bad do you want it?” she asked.

“I feel like I’m about to explode right now, Alexa. I need to feel you so much.” Licking down the length of his neck and down to his chest, she slowly undid his shirt and kissed his abs, allowing her tongue to linger in his navel. She could feel his throbbing erection against her chin. It was wet with pre-cum and the thought made her tingle.


Pulling down his pants, Alexa moved further along, anxious to savor him. His pre-cum was sweet and she loved the taste. Stroking the base of his shaft in sync with her mouth, she bobbed her head up and down on his dick. “Oooh yeah,” he moaned as he felt her heat envelop him.

He grew even harder and she could feel the sensation of his cock vibrating inside her mouth. Gavin ached to relieve the tension as he groaned in satisfaction. Pulling up, Alexa slowly traced up and down his veiny prick, wetting him from top to bottom. The tip of her tongue licked tiny circles around his head as her other hand caressed and fondled his scrotum. It was pure pleasure.

“Fuck, you’re so good. Mmm, I fucking love what you do to my cock.” Alexa took him inside her mouth again, forcing her throat to open wider as she sucked him deeper. His sexy grunt made her even more eager to please him. Her mouth moved faster along the length of his hard cock. “Ooh yeah, I’m almost there, Baby.”


His body grew taut as the tension inside him built up, nearing release. He pumped himself faster into her mouth. Alexa dug her fingers into his thighs, holding on tight as she waited to feel him erupt down her throat. “Yes! Fuck! Yes! I’m coming! Ohh fuck yeah don’t stop,” Gavin growled, holding her head down, bucking beneath her as she felt the first rope of cum hit her tongue and fill her mouth.

“Ooh—mmm, yes! Fuck, fuck, fuck, oooh!” Alexa wrapped her lips snug around his cock head as Gavin groaned loudly and sucked harder, swallowing his juice. And with a final moan of pleasure, he stopped writhing and released his grip on her head. She’d milked him to his final drop. Giving his cock one last, loving lick, she peered up at him with a smile on her sweet lips. “Oh my god that was amazing!” Pulling her up his chest, he pressed his mouth against hers and kissed her sensually.
“Mmm thank you.”


“No, thank you!” he sighed, slowly coming down. “I love you, Babe. I don’t think I can ever say that enough.”

“I love you, too,” Alexa giggled, kissed him one last time before pushing off of Gavin’s chest to stand and straighten her dress. “Better get yourself fixed up, Mr. Stark. We have a party to attend.” 


The Governor’s mansion was a hub of activity. Surrounded on three sides by water, it reminded Alexa of the Stark’s old place. It was a large colonial home built in 1956 and encircled by sculpted shrubbery and a perfectly manicured lawn that covered 1.5 acres of land. The interior had been redecorated several times over the years and this time, it had a more modern feel but was accented with a few of its original antiquities. For the night’s festivities, the main rooms were set up with banquet tables and open bars in three of the thirty rooms on the lower levels.

“Wow, swanky.”

“Of course. Nothing but the best for Dad. And with it being his last year in office I’m sure he’s trying to go out with a bang; give the people something to remember him by.” 


“I still say these people know how to live.”

“Or at least how to spend their money. And don’t you have billions of dollars too?”

“That’s not the point. It’s not like we live an extravagant lifestyle. And it’s ‘we,’ Gavin. We have billions of dollars.”

“What’s this event for anyway?” he sighed, changing the subject.

“It’s a silent auction with all proceeds going to the Wounded Warrior Project,” Alexa replied, reading the information from a nearby pamphlet.

“Worthy charity.”

“It is and wow! I think I might want to bid on the romantic gondola ride for two. It’s an all-expense paid trip to Venice for three days and three nights.”


“What will you do with the girl during our vacation?”

“Duct tape her to the couch in front of the TV with enough food and water to last the weekend. But wait, what makes you think I wanted to take you instead of her in the first place?”

“Science,” Gavin shrugged.

“What?” Alexa laughed at his non-explanation. They were so engrossed in the joke they didn’t notice Travis and Joan making their way over.

“Well look who decided to attend,” Joan said. Her arm was wrapped possessively over Travis’ and she gave Alexa the once over before smiling at her son. Alexa instantly sobered up as she peered into the faces of Gavin’s parents. 


“Mom,” Gavin said, pulling her into a hug. “You look gorgeous.”

“Thank you, Sweetheart. You look very nice yourself. I always love seeing you all dressed up. So handsome. And where’s my beautiful, little Willow?”

“She’s home.”

“What? Why didn’t you bring her?”

“We didn’t want to keep her up too late with it being a school night and all,” Alexa replied, warranting Joan’s cold stare once more. She held her gaze, unwilling to be the first to blink. She also wanted to show Joan she was not afraid nor eager to back down.

“Alexa,” Travis said, disrupting the impromptu staring match, “How have you been?”

“I’ve been well, Travis, thank you,” she replied. 


“I’m glad to hear it. You and Gavin both seem to be doing wonderfully,” he sighed with a lingering gaze at his eldest child. “I only wish…”

“Excuse me, Mr. Governor, you’re wanted for a few pictures over here,” Travis’ assistant interrupted.

“Right well, hopefully we can pick this up again sometime—soon,” he added, again gesturing in Gavin’s direction before he and Joan faded into the crowd.

“I warned you,” Gavin said as he watched them walk away.

“What? He didn’t make plans. There was nothing explicitly said,” Alexa defended herself. “And besides, it’s not like you actually completed your threat anyway. Your lips are still mine.”


“Yeah, yeah,” Gavin sighed and wrapped his arm around his wife’s waist. “Well now that that’s over, you think we can get to work?”

“After you.”

Alexa and Gavin spent the better part of the night speaking with members of law enforcement and the local politicians. All of it led to dead ends. Just as they were about to give up, Gavin spied one of the mayor’s aides walking with an official looking case file into an upstairs office. “You see that?” he asked, motioning toward the man who had just disappeared into a room guarded by two burly men in dark suits. “Think you can handle them…discreetly?” he added as an afterthought. 


“What am I, new? Watch and learn, Handsome.” Alexa lightly pecked Gavin’s cheek before slipping up the stairs. He watched from the ground floor as she sensuously swayed up to the two guards and whispered something in their ears. They both gave her the once over, clearly approving of what they saw and were thrilled by what they heard. The guard on the left reached out and rested his hand just barely above her rear as the other took her hand delicately with his own.

Gavin couldn’t help the pang of jealously that hit him but he swallowed it and rationalized this was all an act; part of her job to get what they needed. It was also the first time he’d watched her work and it made him think back to the first time they met. Nothing was by chance. Every interaction, every conversation, and every “accidental” run-in had all been part of a deliberately calculated plan.


He glanced away for a moment to rein in his emotions and contain his thoughts. Alexa loved him. That much he knew was true. Nothing else mattered. A waiter with a tray of drinks started by and Gavin liberated two glasses. By the time he looked back up to the office, Alexa and the men had disappeared. “Shit,” he muttered under his breath and headed up to find her.

“Excuse me, that room is off limits,” a blonde with an all too serious expression announced, making Gavin’s hand slip from the handle. Taking a look around, he ensured they’d not drawn any unwanted attention as he quickly thought up a way out of this situation.


Alexa had convinced the two security guards to meet her in one of the adjacent bedrooms. And while they readied themselves for what they believed would be the most earthshattering ménage à trois they’d ever had, she excused herself to the ladies’ room—which of course detoured through the closed office door.

Working quickly, she had located the file in question. Retrieving her phone, Alexa took hurried photos of the documents and photographs contained inside. There were quite a few pictures taken of a crime scene—more specifically the hit-and-run death of Commissioner James Knight.

Even more troubling was the unreasonable amount of information pertaining to the aftermath and the suspect charged with the accident: Michael West. Police reports, criminal complaints, a background check, credit history, closest living relatives and social activities had all been collected about the man in question.


Alexa stared at the pictures a moment as she speculated what exactly took place. Tire treads indicated the car that hit Commissioner Knight was speeding—or more accurately, accelerated before the point of impact. Meaning the person who killed Commissioner Knight did so on purpose.

“I have to get to the scene and take a look around. But, if I’m right, this was a hit, not an accident,” Alexa said to no one in particular. Closing up the file, she started for the door but quickly stopped in place. Voices could be heard on the other side and she wondered briefly if they belonged to the guards to whom she’d made promises. That is until the man continued speaking.


“Sorry, I was looking for someone,” Gavin said, taking a solitary step back, allowing the blonde to place her back to the office door.

“Well, I can assure you, they are not in that room. That’s the Governor’s personal office.”

“I’m well aware,” he replied. Silently, Alexa parted the office door and their gazes met. Gavin’s eyes momentarily widened before he swiftly switched on his charm. “I’m sorry, where are my manners? Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Gavin Stark,” he said with a smile as he extended his hand to the woman.

“Oh gosh! I’m so sorry, I didn’t recognize you. You’re Governor Stark’s son! Maggie.”

Taking her hand, he pulled her into him and softly met the back of her hand with his lips in the gentlest of kisses. “It’s nice to meet you, Maggie.” 


The move provided Alexa with the distraction she needed to quietly slip out of the office. Turning down a hall, she pretended to exit the bathroom right as the blonde looked over in her direction. “Oh! Alexa Stark,” she exclaimed with an enormous smile on her face. “I guess you’d be who Gavin was looking for.”

“Guilty as charged,” Alexa said. She moved forward and slid herself under Gavin’s arm before retrieving one of the drinks from his hand.

“Well, I don’t want to keep you two. The auctions are about to start. This year, we have a few surprises.”

“Oooh!” Alexa twisted toward Gavin and slid her free hand over the expensive cut of his suit. “That sounds exciting doesn’t it, Honey Bear?” One eyebrow rose slightly and she watched his blue eyes darken but, he quickly recovered from the ridiculous nickname and offered the blonde a sharp nod. 


“Sure does, Kitten,” he responded with a smile as he nuzzled his nose against Alexa’s cheek.

“Aww, you two are just the cutest,” the blonde grinned, scrunching her nose at their affectionate display.

“I know. My Snuggle Muffin is the sweetest man ever.” Alexa squeezed his cheeks as she spoke and pressed a hard peck into his lips as she did. Gavin pulled her hand away and smiled in the blonde’s direction.

“It was a pleasure meeting you. Let’s go, Buttercup.” He grasped Alexa’s upper arm and walked away. “You’re enjoying yourself too much,” he chastised but, Alexa caught the corner of his mouth twitch, betraying his amusement. 


“Got to play the part, Sugar Lips.” She took a sip of her drink and winced, wrinkling her nose at the overly fruity concoction. “Wow, that’s sweet. Did the bar run out of champagne or something?”

“It seemed like the kind of drink a girl would like,” Gavin shrugged, choosing that moment to take a sip of the gin and tonic in his crystal glass.

“Well, I’m not some typical girl,” she remarked with some bitterness in her tone.

“No,” he glanced sideways at her, “you’re not.” Gavin’s shoulder brushed Alexa’s chest, and her body became achingly aware of how close he stood. With unspent sexual energy still teeming in her system, her skin tingled as her nipples became pebbles. “Get what you need up there?” he whispered in her ear.


She turned to him, her green eyes locking onto his blue ones. For a moment they just looked at one another, Gavin seemingly recognizing the look in her eyes. “Gavin…” His name fell from her lips in a soft moan. His signature smirk played about his lips momentarily as he debated whether or not to take her someplace and seal the deal. His eyes closed in a long blink as he fought to restrain himself. The grip on her waist tightened and released over and again until he breathed a heavy sigh.

“I did but, we need to discuss something…in private.” He nodded, understanding exactly what she was going to say. It had occurred to him also that finding any kind of information tonight in this house may have a possible connection with his father. And now knowing that it was found behind his closed office doors only meant one thing: Travis Stark was somehow involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment